<VV>Why so few mechanics

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sun Mar 5 11:44:31 EST 2006

>I left machine work about 10 years ago to move into computer
>programming.

Did the same thing just a bit longer ago. Think a lot of people given the
choice of dirty work in a {too hot|too cold} involving a lot of heavy
lifting and a job which requires that everything be kept clean and in an
environmentally controlled area and which pays more money would have no
trouble deciding.

So what is left in many cases is those who could not transition into
electronics/computers, something that is even more difficult today as cars
and computers meld (my 88 has nine computers, a touch screen, and its own
LAN, I expect that someday it will be recognized for that).

Something to think about the next time someone complains they cannot find a
good mechanic. Soon all will be parts swappers and the only ones left will
be SCA members who do it for recreation.

Padgett