<VV> Valve Guides

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Mar 7 13:49:00 EST 2006

At 06:52 hours 03/07/2006, Ron Guy wrote:
>Two questions.
>1. What exactly are the advantages to bronze valve guides?
>Heat? Lack of lubricant in that area?

Bronze is malleable and thus won't gall the valve stem if it's forced
to run in situations where there's very little lube available or the
lube is thinned severely such as when very hot.

>2. Are stem seals just for older worn engines or do builders
>use them on rebuilds?

Most engines when new used some sort of stem seal.   If the guides
are in top notch shape, stem seals aren't needed unless the valve
gear is swimming in oil.   If intake guides are worn, intake vacuum
will suck oil down the valve stems and the engine will smoke,
especially if allowed to idle a lot.

On Vair engines, if I have a head apart etc and if the guides are in
decent shape upon reassembly, I do *Not* use stem seals at
all.    I'll trade a puff of smoke on occasion for clean unscuffed
valve stems.    Vair valve stems don't get that much oil in the first
place, and since they're horizontally positioned instead
of  vertically like in most other engines (which obviously would
benefit more from stem seals since oil weeps down the stems into the
guides) and could likely appreciate a little extra oil, especially
since the heads are hot and the oil isn't doing its best work there
in the first place.

...this only works if the guides are OK.   If you have worn intake
guides and no stem seals, you can expect coking behind the valve heads.

>Seems they restrict any lubricant from the valve stem area.

Tight stem seals do restrict most oil... not sure I really like such
seals (those Teflon pressed-on seals come to mind) since they allow
almost nothing past them.  If I use seals, I'd rather do with the
umbrella type floating seals (in a vertical configuration
engine).    Again, I don't put stem seals back in Vair engines.   I'd
rather put up with an occasional puff than deal with scuffed stems
and rattling guides.

By the way...  worn valve guides do NOT help keep seats in place.

tony..