<VV> LUG - not nuts

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 9 00:36:51 EST 2006

Hi Matt,

Well, yes I know how to recognize it, the kinds of driving situations which
could lead to it, and how to avoid it.  I was just trying to figure out if
there was a specific well formulated definition that could be used when you
are telling a "new" driver of an older car NOT to LUG the engine.

Just WHAT is that supposed to mean to the person who steps out of the modern
car you mention in example 1 below and into a stick shift Corvair?  It just
seems that it is not all that clear cut.  BUT, I would think that it might
be something along the lines of too much throttle for the speed of the
vehicle considering the gear currently selected and resulting (among other
things - mainly bad) in little or no actual acceleration.  This was the type
of thing I was shooting for with my question.  Don't know if this is the
best answer or if it fully conveys the message.  It might be a starting
point for a more concise definition?  I liked your "torque" explanation.

BTW - you often hear that same admonition when someone is breaking in a
newly rebuilt engine.

Sometimes I like to THINK that I'm 17 - well, at least 21.

Later, JR