<VV> Here come ol' flat top

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Thu Mar 9 15:49:56 EST 2006

VVers:

The power top on my '65 convertible has gotten progressively more
"tired" in the 6-7 years I've owned it.

It will work fine for, say, 20-25 full up/down cycles, and then it will
go up very slowly for 4 or 5 cycles.  Sometimes, it won't even go up
unless I reach back and give it a strong assist by hand.  At the end of
last season, it got to the point that I was afraid it was going to stop
in the halfway up position, which would have stranded me.

I'm thinking that the electric motor is just tired.  Is this possible?
Are there specific places I should lubricate?  Are there things in the
cabling I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steven "groovin' up slowly" Serenska
'65 Monza Convertible, 110/4sp