<VV> Here come ol' flat top

Anil Mittal anil at anil.com
Fri Mar 10 08:20:33 EST 2006

Hello Steven,

  I had a similar problem in my 66 which not only did what you
described but would also kill my engine if it were just idle. I found
two things that fixed the problem for good. The first thing I did was
to change the power tap off the battery. I noticed that where the
power top motor got power from looked a bit crusty and would heat up
whenever I opperated the top. I removed all of the old parts and
installed an insulated terminal block I got from Mad Electrical:
http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/cn-1.shtml

  While I was in there I also decided to replace the circuit braker
for the top motor. I happed to have on hand one used for Car Audio
stuff which had two studs on it and handled the same amount of
current.

  These two changes seemed to fix the problem I was having with my
top. Later in time while I was doing some other work I replaced the
power top harness. When I replaced the harness I took out the switch
under the dash and cleaned it with contact cleaner.

  I hope this helps, it may not be your problem but it is probably a
good place to start looking. If your motor does stop working I heard
that you can disconnect the drive cables then opperate your top
manually. Good luck!

Anil

Message: 1