<VV> Is it a knock or tap?

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Mar 11 01:54:42 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/10/2006 11:42:38 AM Pacific Standard Time,
corvair65 at verizon.net writes:

The  engine ran rather smooth, with no obvious misses, which leads me to
believe that it's not a lifter, but on the other hand, how would I develop  a
knock in the engine while sitting in the garage for 3 months?  And  if it is
a knock, where should I look for it?

Russ  Moorhouse

How much did you drive it, Russ? The only ill effect from a  not-fully-pumped
up lifter is a little (real little) less power from that  cylinder. It will
not cause a miss. BUT you will have to get it hot to really  loosen up the
plungers inside the lifters. On a 140 I built, I would start it up  cold and it
would initially sound like the proverbial bucket of bolts. After 3-4  minutes at
idle, almost all would be pumped up - except one lifter - It took  10-15
minutes of real driving to pump up that one. This was an autocross motor  in it's
first life - and actually completed a couple of SCCA races in D/P  as well.
But the last 15 years I owned it pushed around my 65 Corsa Convert as a  street
car. The 1/8 turn past zero valve settings were the culprit, of course.  Great
for an autocross car, it probably needed 1/4 or more for a cold start  street
car. - Seth Emerson