<VV> Re: What Broke ?

Nigel Hoyow nigelhoyow at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 11 17:09:10 EST 2006

Hi everyone
Thanks for the suggestions re what broke.
I just dropped the engine and theres nothing wrong in the clutch area -
looked in the diff and there you go......  the pinion sheared 2 teeth !!! (I
guess thats the penalty for no or not enough oil? or maybe it is just time
for it to go.) The pinion has 11 teeth -  which I guess is the 3.27 pinion
that is supposed to be there?.
So I am on the hunt - I drained the diff and will recover the bits and
pieces out of the bottom tomorrow. The crown was untouched apparently and
everything else seems to be okay.
Might as well change the clutch disc
does anyone know the part number of the seals for the long shaft please?? Is
this a chevy part or can I get a substitute??.  I might find a complete diff
box on monday hopefully - got to go dig up a friends garage. Is it necessary
to get a matched pair, crown AND pinion??  No parts are available here on
the Island (Jamaica) - you guys are soooo lucky!!!.
Anyway thanks for the support once more.
Nigel - VW van 140/4 3.27 drivetrain.