<VV> Timing, smoke, and thanks!

Ryan Verthein daretocorvair at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 15 13:34:41 EST 2006

Hey guys.

Thanks for the replies.  I wasn't sure.

I was the first to use our new Actron timer (well,
dad's but the garage is ours.) and that light really
is very bright.  I am pleased to say, the car seems to
be happy at about 14-16 BTDC.  When I step on the gas,
it no longer dies...it responds!  and Well!

it also idles higher now, and doesn't blow smoke out
of the carbs anymore.  Idle is about 800 right now.
might bring it down just a tad...maybe not.  It's a
manual, and they like the RPMS, I know...so who knows.
 we'll see once I get it on the road in the next 3
weeks.

The car had a lot of crud to burn off in the
beginning...I was afraid it burned that much oil...but
you know what, it burns almost none!  I'm really not
sure what it's like yet, but there's almost no smoke
scoming out of the exhaust pipes-and hell, thats at 26
degrees outside when stuff like that shows up the
most.  There's some blow-by coming up the tube, but
even rebuilt engines have blow-by...and even that has
gone down a lot since the beginning.

So...thats just about done.  About to order a balance
tube and new valve cover gaskets...then hopefully the
brakes at the end of the week.

Then watch out!

Ryan V.

1965 Corsa/110/4