<VV> Transaxle swapping

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Fri Mar 17 10:47:48 EST 2006

 I'm thinking about putting a '64 transaxle and 4-speed into my '62 Spyder,
using the '64 flywheel, pressure plate, throwout bearing, input shaft, etc.
Is is necessary or advisable to use the '64 bellhousing on my '62 engine?
I'm going to replace the crank seal anyway so it won't be any more work for
me either way. Is there anything else I need to change? Thanks for your
help.

Ralph Gubser
Cincinnati, OH

Ralph, the bellhousing should stay with the engine as in 1964 they changed
the position of the main seal by .070 when they stroked the crank.  Unless
there is something wrong with your clutch or flywheel I would keep whatever
is on the engine as it is already heavy duty for the Spyder engine option.
The 1964 trans uses a different input shaft (14 splines) than the 1962 (12
splines).
Also the 1964 trans has different ratios due to more torque from the 164
cubic inch engine.
Again, if there is nothing wrong with your trans, why change it?
If you want the leaf spring system from the 1964 then just change the diff.
If you put the leaf spring on, then you need to put the weaker coil springs
from the 1964 on as well or you will have too much positive camber.  Also
you will have to add the mounting holes in your A-arms for the leaf spring
hardware and rubber bushings.  Would be alot easier to add a sway bar to
your car than all these changes.  Sounds like alot of work for not much
gain!!!
Clark Hartzel