<VV> RE: insurance for antique autos

Dave Keillor dkeillor at tconcepts.com
Fri Mar 17 14:01:30 EST 2006

As you point out, this is a AGREED value policy.  My Hagerty policies
are similar.  Hagerty didn't ask for an appraisal on my cars given that
they were not big-bucks cars.

When I was less well-informed, I had a STATED value policy from State
Farm.  In this case I would have had to establish the actual cash value
of the car at the time of a loss had State Farms valuation been less
than the stated value in the policy.  This is where an appraisal would
have been appropriate.  Fortunately, I've never had to file a claim on
any of the "toy" cars.

This one is for Ned the deerslayer.  We've hit a couple of deer with the
daily driver (non-Corvair) cars, but the most damage was the raccoon
that took out the radiator and ac condenser on the Alero.  By the time
the temp light came on, the head was warped -- over $3k in repairs.
Another reason why air-cooled Corvairs are superior. :-)

Dave Keillor