<VV> Re: Cradle

tkalp at cox.net tkalp at cox.net
Fri Mar 17 16:45:26 EST 2006

Group,

I have found a transmission jack very satisfactory for pulling and installing Corvair engines, especially when pulling just the engine.  With the ability to tilt the engine side to side and fore to aft I don't have to worry about raising the front of the car to get the correct angle.

To help locate and "lock" the engine on the trans jack I made an angle iron adapter that fit between the lip  and bolts of the oil pan.  A set of guide pins made from 2.5-3" 3/8 bolts with the heads cut off make the job a snap (thanks for the idea Patio M)

Never having used an ATV jack I can't compare.  When you have to set the motor down  to pull the bellhousing (loosen the oil pan) I can set the engine down with 4x4's under the manifold area and pull the tranny jack out.  I think that the ATV jacks extra width would require some additional steps. (the Finch Cart might provide similar problems.

Phil Nelson and I pulled and replaced the engine 9 times in "Fast Orange" then Ned and I did the tripple swap from the "Deer hunter"  plus many other engine pulls.  I am quite satisified with the tranny jack and adapter. I have never been tempted to try any other method.

Your milage may vary <G>

Terry Kalp