<VV> PG flex plates Whoops!

Brent Covey brentcovey at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 17 16:59:50 EST 2006

Whoops!

Good thing you caught that Seth-

My mind turned that around, its the EARLY engine that has the 'long' crank gear that sticks out more- the cranks were shortened somewhere around 1/8" or so for 1964 to buy a bit of extra space for the bent finger clutch pressure plate on the later cars. The flywheels are also stepped for some more clearance. This is why theres a variety of different bellhousing parts related to the 164 engine.

As far as the exact distance the crank was shortened, I dont know off the top of my head but its a farly small change on the order of 1/8" or something. I am sure Bill Fishers book would have the spec. If I'd been paying attention I'd have remembered LATE flexplates are the FLATTER ones and the EARLY flexplate is the more dished variety. Lates are readily identified by the extra hole. The dishing goes 'cone point' forwards in all cases. It might be an idea to shim the early flexplate with a washer approximating the amount of difference in the crank gear lengths for testing rig purposes as you suggest. Good thinking!

Powerglide flexplates are a very cheap and plentiful so having one of each style wouldnt be too onerous to collect either I imagine, however.

Sorry for the confusion, thanks for jogging my memory Seth,
Brent Covey
Vancouver BC

  Brent How much further forward does the crank stick out on the late model? Perhaps a late flex plate could be used on lates, and the large reinforcing washer from a late Stick could be installed underneath the flexplate on earlies to properly place the ring gear. - Seth Emerson