<VV> brake job--a few questions

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Tue Mar 21 07:48:36 EST 2006

It is always a good idea to do one axle at a time if you aren't sure
the way everything goes together. That said, please do not expect the
previous people that did 5 or 10 earlier brake jobs to be 100%
perfect.  I've seen missing parts & backwards springs (especially the
lower one that holds the 2 shoes against the adjust assembly) a BUNCH
of times.  Use the other wheel for *guidance*, but not as gospel.
Study the pic in the shop manual.

good luck!

Jim Burkhard

> It is always a good idea to do one side at a time. This way you can look at the other side for some guidance.
 >If this is not possible you could look at the other axle's brakes.
The difference here would be the emergency brake
 >(there on in the rear, not there on the front), but the hardware is
the same. Another possible pitfall of this method is that you're
counting on the last person to have put the brakes together correctly.