<VV> Reality Check?

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Mar 21 18:57:56 EST 2006

At 08:39 hours 03/21/2006, Ken Wildman wrote:
>At 12:50 PM 3/21/2006, Tony Underwood wrote:
>
>>Bill Maher is the same nutbag who defended the
>>9-11 hijackers as being "brave men" who were "fighting for a cause".
>

>"We have been the cowards lobbing
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Cruise_missile>cruise
>missiles from 2,000
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Mile>miles
>away. That's cowardly. Staying in the
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Aircraft>airplane
>when it hits the
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Building>building,
>say what you want about it, it's not cowardly."
>
>­ Bill Maher, Politically Incorrect (2001)

The "fighting for a cause" comment came later on,
several days after the initial "bravery" remarks.

> From Wikipedia:
>During the era of the
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Vietnam_War>Vietnam
>War, the alleged cowardice of American "carpet
>bombing" from high above a target was a common
>theme among anti-war protestors. However, in the
>context of the sensitive
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Aftermath>aftermath
>of the attacks, such a remark was deemed too
>controversial for some financial supporters.

In the words of the Generals:

"Always exploit every advantage.   Never fight on
the enemy's own terms.   If you can, destroy the
enemy without loss to yourself whenever possible."

Some of this originated from the works of Sun Tsu.

Of COURSE the military is gonna launch attacks
against its enemies with whatever is at hand
which will accomplish the intended purpose
without personal losses.   Only a fool will fight
an enemy without taking advantage of every
upper-hand aid they can use.   One does not trade
lives for "fair play" as viewed in the eyes of
those who have no clue as to what war really is.

War is not a game.   There are no rules that say
you MUST play "fair" with someone who would kill
you as soon as look at you.    Those who call
cruise missiles "cowardly" would reconsider if
the shoe was on the other foot and the enemy was
able to kill off a distressing number of soldiers
because the military was somehow not allowed to
use whatever is in their arsenal.

It's no more cowardly for the US to desire to
protect the lives of our soldiers at every turn
than it would be for me to pick up an axe handle
and go after the hoodlum who broke into my 'Vair
to steal the stereo.   Should I NOT pick up the
axe handle, and get myself knifed etc in the
process of confronting the cretin, or should I
use that axe handle to beat the Hell out of the
creep before he could hurt me?

(this is all rhetoric, just commenting what
people already know but may have forgotten)

>***Although some
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Pundit_%28politics%29>pundits,
>including conservative radio host
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Rush_Limbaugh>Rush
>Limbaugh,
><http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=25267>supported
>Maher, pointing out the distinction between physical and moral cowardice***,

Maher has said/done other things which left me
with sufficient bad taste in my mouth to NOT patronize his talk show.

>companies including
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/FedEx>FedEx
>and
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Sears_Roebuck>Sears
>Roebuck pulled their
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Advertisement>advertisements
>from the show, costing the show more than it
>returned. The show was subsequently cancelled on
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/June_16>June
>16, 2002. On
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/June_22>June
>22, 2002, six days after the cancellation of
>Politically Incorrect, Maher received the
>President's Award (for "championing
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Freedom_of_speech>free
>speech") from the
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Los_Angeles>Los Angeles Press Club.

Humm...  the LA Press Club...

I'll be keeping that axe handle handy, just the
same.   And I'll not criticize the government if
it budgets tax money to replenish the stock of
cruise missiles either, not if a SINGLE soldier's
life is saved because of them.

...I think we've bent over enough for the
clueless antiwar masses who would condemn any
efforts to protect ourselves or our
interests.    There are bad people out there who
want US dead simply because we're not like
them.   I take such threats seriously and my
patience is short with anyone who feels that we
should just "turn the other cheek".

As far as the Maher show with Lou Dobbs spouting
his rhetoric, it's pretty much moot.   Their
audience is going to believe whatever they want,
and no refuting ot counterpoint discussion will change it.

Nader is always right because he's...  well...
Nader.    The Corvair was a bad car because an
authority figure said so on TV.   Besides, it's
an obsolete product that poisons the environment
and should be banned from the highways because it's dangerous.

I better sell off these 'Vairs for scrap (to be
bought by China to build up their arsenal) and buy a bicycle.

...made in China, of course.

tony..