<VV> Tires again. Sorry

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Thu Mar 23 16:23:06 EST 2006

Nick, I agree. They look "right" and fit well. But that size is no
longer available in the US (more than just a little difficult to source)
and only in limited availability around the world.

(Larry Claypool had a US source (made in Asia?) for this size and I was
able to get an inexpensive set of V-rated tires for my wife's 'vert. But
when I tried to get a second set from him for my Corsa, they had dried up.)

A Corvair performs much, much better with at least H or better speed
rated tires on it (due to the stiffer sidewall and increased grip). My
wife's otherwise stock '67 'vert was utterly transformed by going from
stock wheels and 185 section economy tires to stock GM 14x6" steel
wheels and those V-rated tires. (Okay, I added a set of Konis as well...)

But these days you can't get anything with an appropriate outer diameter
but an S-rated tire in a 13 and nothing better than an H rated tire in a
14 (with all of those still really being too short).

Only at a 15" rim diameter do the choices really exist... and even those
are less than what they used to be, the widest selection now being in
the 16's.

Bill