<VV> Oil Pan Questions

Bob Gilbert bgilbert at redshift.bc.ca
Thu Mar 23 22:56:10 EST 2006

Hi,

1) I’ve been told you have to recalibrate the dipstick if you have one of
the special (deep dish) aluminum pans from the Corvair vendors. Maybe it’s
late and I’m tired but I don’t see why. Yes, the pan will require more oil
but the “height” of oil in the engine will remain the same if you calibrate
using the dipstick as it is and isn’t that what matters?

2) Has anybody tried replacing the stock pan with a flat slab of 3/16 or ¼
inch aluminum plate? On the surface it seems like an obvious choice to
warped and dinged steel pans and without the ground clearance problems
created by the “deep dish” pans out there.

Thanks,

Bob 66 180 convertible