<VV> Stock Class Tires

vairtec at optonline.net vairtec at optonline.net
Fri Mar 24 09:20:21 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: J R Read_HML <hmlinc at sbcglobal.net>

> You and Tim seem to feel it is not a problem.  Both of you are certainly much closer to this (much more involved) than I.  So, if everyone is happy and expects that the lack of decent 13 inch tires is not a potential problem, then I'll just be quiet.  <

JR, I agree that the diminishing availability of 13-inch tires is a problem -- but not for autocross.  For the street, today's limited tire selection is highly disappointing.  The tongue-in-check term "rim protectors" is just about right.

But in CORSA autocross, classification is the leveller.  If you have stock-class tires on your car, you're lumped in with all the other poor souls on today's crummy 13s.  (And with the poor souls on yesterday's crummy 13s, we're now seeing Concours people who autocross on repro bias-plies.)

Your question, JR, appears to center on being moved "up-class" if you have selected better (different sized) tires.  It appears that you'd prefer not to be bumped up in class based solely on tire choice.  If you've made a tire-size improvement to an otherwise stock car, I can understand your viewpoint.  But I think that it is necessary to keep the stock class for cars on stock 13-inch wheels with whatever stock-ish sizes are available today.

--Bob