<VV> Tear-down III (was Rebuild II)

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 25 14:53:11 EST 2006

Last night, I began tear-down III.

	I finally got the broken rocker cover bolt issue solved.  After
carefully drilling out all of the old bolt, I was able to use a
standard sized bolt (no re-threading or over sizing was necessary).  I
attached a series of six super magnets in the deep oil pan and put
another 65 lb. rated shop magnet on the end of the filter.  I put the
oil in and used a drill attached to an old distributor shaft and placed
hair driers (two) on the oil cooler and a curling iron between the
cooler and the oil filter in order to heat the oil as much as possible
in order to loosen as much of any hidden debris as possible.  I ran
this setup for two hours. The oil cooler adaptor became hot to the
touch. I was hoping to find that all was well, but that's not what
happened.
	After I drained the oil, I ran a magnet through the oil.  It came up
negative.  I then took off the oil pan and that's when I realized that
all was not well.  I found flakes (very few, but then how many would
you want?) on the magnets.  It was when I used carb cleaner to clean
the oil pan and then ran the magnet through the collected runoff that I
really knew I was going to take the engine apart for a third time.  The
iron debris were extremely fine, but it clumped around the end of the
magnet like a ball. Most likely the debris came from the replacement
oil cooler that I bought.  I thought I had throughly cleaned it by
having a radiator shop put engine cleaner in it and then blow it out
with a pressure hose, and then I put paint thinner in it and immersed
it in hot water which caused it to spit the thinner back out.  I did
this probably six or seven times alternating putting thinner in the
cooler and shaking it back and forth until there were no more debris
coming out; about fifteen times.  I also hand cleaned the front case
cover and all of the oil passages.  Perhaps it came from the top case
cover.
	Regardless, I going to tear it down again and leave no stone unturned
in removing every last bit of debris.

On the positive side, I am getting pretty good at a tear down and
reassemble.  I've almost got the torque ratings memorized. ggg

Stephen Upham
Corvairium II