<VV> Re: engines for airplanes

Rad Davis rad.davis at comcast.net
Sat Mar 25 20:20:01 EST 2006

Mark's engine, as he would probably agree, was a great experiment.  It
turned out that he went a little too far for the structural limits of the
parts combination he was using.  They call them experimental aircraft for a
reason.  He did a masterful job of dealing with the inflight engine failure.

He was running a 3100 CC setup with the VW type 4 jugs.  And he was running
it right at the torque peak.  Turned out that the increased torque, in
combination with having a 50" + diameter propeller hanging where the
flywheel goes, an unknown prop hub indexing situation, and unknown harmonic
issues, was more than the late crank could handle.

Mark has since put together an engine very close to  The William Wynne
default specs and is putting lots of hours on the airplane with no drama at
all.  William put a truly silly number of hours on his Pietenpol AirCamper
with a Corvair engine in it and did a great job of proving that it was a
simple, durable engine quite capable of making 100 HP as long as you might
want.  The current crop of new Corvaircrafters (as they seem to be known)
seem to have more people who want to fly fast composite airplanes, and want
more power to do it with.  They're finding structural limits that William
didn't with his low and slow 100 HP combination.

He has responded by building a Zenith 601 aircraft, which is an aluminum
sportplane.  It's a much better testbed for the "fast glass" crowd.

Mark's a meticulous experimenter.  It's actually really good for everybody
else that the crank failure happened to him, instead of J. Random
Flybynight, because he documented everything carefully.

Rad Davis:                                        rad.davis at comcast.net
Corvairs--65, 66 Corsa coupes, '65 'brier Deluxe   http://www.corvair.org/
Keeper of the Forward Control Corvair Primer:
http://www.mindspring.com/~corvair/fc1.html
"We did Nebraska in seven minutes today. I think that's probably the best
way to do Nebraska."                            --Brian Shul, _Sled Driver_