<VV> new opinion on oil categories

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sun Mar 26 15:43:50 EST 2006

Previously I took the position that the new API categories of oil (SM and
GF-4) would be satisfactory for all Corvair engines. This was mostly based on
the opinions of the automobile industry experts who said that it would be due
to  the tests that the oil must pass.

But because of questions previously raised, I dug into the specs and data
and now have reversed my opinion about these two oil categories.

I now believe that any oil labeled SM in the donut on the back of the
container  AND with the Starburst on the front would be questionable for  Corvair
use because of the anticipated cam and lifter wear. If the Starburst is  not
there, or if the container is also labled with SL and/or SJ, then the oil  should
be satisfactory in my opinion.

The reasons why are somewhat lengthy and I decline to post them on the web.
So anyone wanting to read my two page PDF monologue on this subject please
contact me directly and I will email you a copy.

Comments on my article are solicited after reading it.

Regards,
Bob Helt