<VV> 1966 Corsa Dash

Anil Mittal anil at anil.com
Mon Mar 27 10:56:39 EST 2006

Hi Mel, I am rebuilding my dash at this moment so here are my
suggestions:

1) Not sure about the clips, sorry.

2) You want harness wrapping tape. It is just like electrical tape
but not sticky, available from the Corvair vendors.

3) I used stripper to remove the paint from the dash. Under the paint
it is chromed(?) so that you can mask off around the guages etc and
repaint the dash. Once you remove the masking tape you will have the
nice chrome rings around the guages and switches.

4) I bought 2 cans of wrinkle paint from Eastwoods. After stripping
the dash and washing with soap I masked around it's perimeter and
around guage openings and switches. I then followed the directions on
the paint can. Basically spray two med-heavy coats 3 minutes appart.
It said nothing about temperature etc. What I decided to so was place
the dash in front of 2 500 watt halogen lights to help the paint
cure. I also painted a scrap peice of metal which I did not put near
the light. The next morning I had a beautifully krinkled dash and no
texture on the scrap peice. So temperature is VERY important. The
consistant heat from the lights gave me a really nice pattern on the
dash. I also did the  glove box door and surround in a similar manner
except I dipped them in phosphoric acid to stop flash rusting. Do not
prime any of these peices, the krinkle paint needs a smooth surface
to creep across and krinkle.

5) Blue painters tape, a razor blade and a lot of time.

6) I am using the stock type bulbs.

Good luck!

Anil