<VV>Windage Tray (minimal Corvair)

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Mar 27 19:54:31 EST 2006

At 12:41 hours 03/25/2006, UltraMonzaWest at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 3/25/2006 12:34:13 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>tonyu at roanokeinternet.com writes:
>
> > If that were true, then why did my 3700 lb '66 Plymouth
> > outrun every 302 Z Camaro I ever raced...?  ;)
> > ..including a tweaked LT-1 "Mr Bigshot" 1970 Z that had
> > this mean rep on the cruise strip here in town?

>------------------------------
>1  Gearing???

Whose?   Mine or theirs?   Mine had 3.23 gears in back.

Before you scoff at the 3.23s:

Short wide low profile tires, Sure-Grip, and a 2.66 1st gear combined
with a *lot* of midrange torque.   426 cubic inches didn't hurt
either.    It did help in that these contests for the most part were
almost always from a rolling punch.   If I had to launch, I had to
slip the hell out of the clutch to get the car off the line without
lighting the tires.

>2    Driver skill

How much skill do you need to point the car straight and snatch 2nd/3rd?

>3  They weren't racing you?

Well, if they bust into it beside you, revving the engine to redline
and dumping the clutch smoking tires, I'd take it that they were
trying to tempt me.   Of course, any moron who smokes tires off the
line like that is doomed to loose anyway.    Then again, that orange
LT1 Z just punched it from a 25mph roll and took off... I had to
catch him.   And I did.    And I passed him right in front of the
bunch at the burger joints.

...made me wonder what all the hype was about his Z-28 since it
wasn't that hard to whip him.    I'll admit his car sounded pretty
good...   but then IMHO so did mine. ;)

What was that old adage...?     "There's no substitute for cubic
inches."  ...?

People who bought those factory-hotrodded 302 Zs and thought they
were street killers never stopped to consider that other larger
engines built equally would also be equally stronger.

In short, no matter how good the 302 Z engine looked on paper, on the
street a 302 Z engine in a 3100 lb Camaro was not able to outrun a
3700 lb Satellite with a 426 in it.   Got witnesses... :)

...sorry to pop the Z-28 bubbles...   ;)   Oh, for sake of mention,
the Sat had a windage tray.

tony..