<VV> Tired

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Mar 27 20:50:19 EST 2006

At 04:12 hours 03/25/2006, Padgett wrote:
>I have a problem with Harbor Freight in that just about everything
>in the store is made in China. Still I get their flyers and usually
>there is something really oddball that is hard to resist like 18"
>needle nose pliers, everybody oughta have one.
>
>At the same time I hate the bother of taking tires to be changed.
>Have had some 215x65x15s that seemed good for the rear of the Monza
>to bring the 3.55 revs down a bit but they are on 115x5 GM FWD
>wheels and not any of my Snowflakes.
>
>The latest caught my eye - a portable tire changer on sale for
>$34.99. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34542
>Could not resist.
>
>When picked up the box seemed rather small and most of the reviews I
>found showed it being used for motorcycle tires so was not sure.
>Assembly showed it to be "compact" which goes along with the
>portability but had no problem with a 15x8" wheel and removal of the
>215s from the 15x6 Buick wheels was even pretty easy - sprayed the
>rim edge with vinyl protectorant (was at hand and is real slippery)
>was not at all difficult to break the bead (one of the benefits of
>living in central Florida) on both sides and remove the tire.
>
>Before starting I had made one addition - used three lengths of 2x4
>to make legs on the channels. This was actually the hardest part as
>the U-channels were 1/2" narrower than the 2x4 so some creative
>sawing was required.
>http://padgett.ws/files/tirechanger.jpg
>
>The assembly is light and did want to turn when removing the tire
>but by standing on the leg I was able to remove the tire without
>much difficulty and the unit would be easy to take to an Autocross
>by just removing the lag bolts (3/8x1.5")
>
>For $35 bucks it seems a deal compared to $10 for a station to
>change a tire . Anyone else ever used one ?

Great minds think alike.   ;)

Got one of these little gems bolted to a 4x4 foot concrete plinth
that's been in use for about 4 years now, changed tires from big PU
truck mudders down to 12" Fiat 600 donuts, always worked
well.   Chinese it may be, but it's got decent metal in it and I've
not managed to break it yet.   Paint is fading but then it stays
outside...  well worth the pittance paid for it.    I think I changed
7-8 tires with it in the first week just because I could.    Since
then, it's even been "borrowed" with friends and family coming over
to use it because they're too cheap to pay a garage or tire center.

Hey, they're my friends/family...

I keep it covered with a small plastic trash can to keep most of the
weather off it, not deep enough to completely cover it so the trash
can "hangs" from the top of the changer, so air can circulate under it.

tony..