<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 14, Issue 94

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Mon Mar 27 19:05:04 EST 2006

> > A good Z-28 would put out about 440 hp at 7000 rpm,

>Humm...  I'd like to see some dyno slips on one of those
>302s.   Those engines just weren't built all that strong, and they
>were working through a relatively stock exhaust system with iron
>manifolds.

You are thinking about the production version in the showrooms when the
Z-28 became a RPO in 1968. Am talking about the "stock" SCCA race engines
like Donahue/Penske had with cold air intake and tubular headers from the
factory ( Z-28BD AFAIR - changed to numbers in 68). Cross-Ram dual quads
came later. Instructions were in some of the mimeographed sheets Vince
Piggin's office used to put out.

Was quite deep into autocrossing a 67 Camaro (with a/c) at the time that
had many of the Z-28 mods. A scanned photo of the car from early 1968 is at
http://padgett.ws/files/camaro.jpg  - tires are 10.45x15 Blue Streaks and
was before I understood the need for wide wheels. Car did well anyway. The
65 Corsa I autocrossed while at GMI came later, after an all expense paid
vacation in SEA.

Padgett