<VV> Hood/Trunk Lights

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Thu Mar 30 14:45:26 EST 2006

An added note: There were five "optional" lights (sometimes offered as a
group option) available, depending upon model (speaking of late models
only) as either a factory option OR as dealer-installed kits. They were
the glove box light (standard on Monza and Corsa), courtesy light
(standard on convertables), ash tray light, underhood (engine
compartment) light, and luggage compartment (trunk) light.

The kits can often be found in swap meets. But be aware - GM produced
many styles of these, and only one (each) is correct on Corvairs. Also,
the hardest one to find (at least a CORRECT one) is the underhood light.
It took me about three years of searching for the last one I found in a
swap meet. THEY ARE RARE AS HEN'S TEETH!!!

I've got the full set of them in all three of my cars. So I KNOW what
they look like, and can spot non-originals a mile away. If you want to
know what they look like, be at this year's convention in Buffalo and
look for a '67 Monza 4door with the original factory window sticker on
it. It's Sierra Fawn/Capri Cream tutone w/gold interior, and LOADED,
LOADED, LOADED with factory options. It'll be in the SCG event.

-Mark C

Anil Mittal wrote:

>   Were underhood and or trunk lights an option on the Corvair? If so
> where would they be mounted, powered and what did they look like? Has
> anyone added these to their car? If so I would love to hear about it.
> Thank you.
>
> Anil

Yes, the hood one goes into the little hollow area in the very front of
the trunk hood kinda
behind the latch.  The instructions for it are in the accessory
installation guides you can buy
from the vendors (I got mine from Clarks) and you can get the light from
ebay, at least that's
where I got mine.  The engine hatch ligth mounts using a screw that goes
into an existing hole
in the hatch.  There should be a cutout area in the insulation for it.
It kind of tucks up
into a recessed area of the hatch.  I got an engine compartment light
from ebay that was
suppesedly for the Corvair (it looks right) but the mercury switch works
upside down to the
Corvair one so I had to mount it upside down.  It looks fine but the
gurus will know.  It also
tends to shine more backwards than down into the engine compartment but
it does light up the
battery area pretty good.  The trunk light wire runs to the fuse panel
and the engine light
uses an inline fuse.

mike