<VV> Welding galvi

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 31 11:49:07 EST 2006

Hey gang,
  So I've been keeping score on this one, and we're now as far away as we can be while dancing around the wrong question. John and Gary are spot on by pointing out the hazards and basically saying that you need to know what you are doing, and pros know the precautions.
  But nobody has answered the basic question under the question. No one has come out and said whether or not the panels found on a Corvair or designed to replace them are galvanized. I for one would be surprised if they are, because everyone who is experienced and has weighed in says this produces poor welds. When my floor pan falls out at 75 mph on the expressway, I really will not be thinking about how well your corral is holding up.
  My initial blanket statement about not welding galvi is probably accurate enough for a amateur who thinks he can weld a rust-proof patch onto his car. I'm more worried about that than I am about a vendor who would knowingly put all that R&D and tooling into an inferior application.
  My basic advice came from my training as an aircraft mechanic (in the 1970s, not 1870s), reinforced by my son-in-law, who owns Hands of Fire in Denver. He is state certified in about 12 disciplines, including high pressure pipe, and builds stainless steel worktables that look like they were cast in one piece.  He CAN weld galvi, but he won't. I'm not saying he nor I know more or better than anyone else. I'm saying that if you don't know what it is, don't dick with it, and don't go against the best advice available, MSDS included.
  But if body panels on a Corvair aren't galvi, USE THE RECOMMENDED PROCEDURE to weld them. Then we're all like Emily Latella complaining about violins on television.  We are wise to share safety info any time we need to, but are we doing this without anyone actually checking Chevy's specs or calling a vendor to verify or dispell someone's IMPRESSION that the panels are galvi?
  If they aren't, I quote Emily:  "Ooooohhh, that's different. Never mind."

  Chuck Kubin
  LIFCCXGP

Gary Swiatowy <mopar at jbcs2.net> wrote:
  There has been talk about welding to galvanized metal and that it is
hazardous due to the fumes.
This is true, but it is also true that the fumes from any type welding
ishazardous as well.
Generally any welding fumes can cause an effect called "metal fume fever"
that can cause sickness and possibly long term damage. Any type welding
should have localized ventilation to protect the welder from breathing
fumes. this can be in the form of a fan, or even a vacuum type device to
suck away the fumes.
Though galvanized is harmful, there are even more hazards to welding on
specific metals such as stainless. This has been known to release hexavalent
chromium fumes that OSHA has seen fit to release specific rules for its
exposure.

So if you are welding on your cars, know specifically what metals you are
welding to. And also ask for an MSDS for the rod you buy.

Gary Swiatowy
OSHA compliance
Summit Lubricants Inc.