<VV> Transaxle Reinstall Questions

John H. Green jgreen at alum.mit.edu
Fri Mar 31 20:50:15 EST 2006

My sons and I have reinstalled the transaxle on our 1965 110/4. We have the following questions:

1.  Rear suspension front strut rod. When we reinstalled front strut rod support bracket to the transmission mount, we noticed that there is some room for adjusting the bracket. We did not mark the original position and we are wondering if there is a special procedure needed? Chassis shop manual page 4-30 (figure 77) does not describe one, but I wondered if the placement of the bracket could change the alignment.

2.  The gearshift seems much stiffer than before we removed the transaxle. When we disconnect the shift linkage at the transmission, the shift becomes smoother (not stiff), suggesting that the control rod is not the problem. Also, when we losen the two bolts holding the control rod mounting bracket to the transmission bracket, shifting seems easier. What am I missing? Is there an adjustment needed? Chassis manual pp 7-9 to 7-10 is note clear on this. Also, figure 7A-3 does not show the control shaft mounting bracket.

By the way, the car runs and the new clutch solved the chatter problem. And this was the first time we tried something this involved!

Thanks

John Green