<VV> Collector Car Insurance with no Garage

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Wed Nov 1 17:47:28 EST 2006

Hey Gang,

I have had a number of responses to my inquiry both on VV as well as off
list.  I appreciate all of the suggestions so far and those yet to come.  Some of
the suggestions are as follow.

1.  There were a couple of recommendations of insurance carriers that don't
necessarily cater to car collectors.  I will check to see if they will give a
price break without requiring me to switch all of my vehicles.

3.  Some have suggested car covers.  I will check but I fear that this will
not cut it with the authorities.  At best, this would be a gray area and most
officials who enforce these kinds of ordinances tend to give the benefit of the
doubt to the complainant because they fear he will go over his head for not
doing his job.

4.  Some have suggested that I buy and use a "portable" garage.  In effect;
use a tent.  Knowing the neighborhood, this may be an ordinance violation in
and of itself.  However, I will check into it.  I am also concerned that the
high winds we get here sometimes will lift the tent and land it in a neighbor's
yard despite some level of anchoring.  (Just think of the repercussions if it
landed in the complaining neighbor's yard.)

5.  Last but not least, some have suggested that I insure the vehicle as a
collector vehicle and tell them that it will be stored in the garage even though
it will not.  Obviously, the car will not be covered if there is a loss but I
do not have it insured anyway at this point.  If the other options don't
work, I think this is the best option since the vehicles are safely locked away in
my yard and the risk is minimal.  I wouldn't expect reimbursement even if
there were a loss at this point.

Again, I thank you for your suggestions and will let you know if there are
any more issues.

Doc
'60 Vette; '61 Rampside; '62 Rampside; '64 Spyder; '65 Greenbrier; '66 Corsa;
'67 Nova SS; '68 Camaro ragtop