<VV> Marketing vs. Engineering (NO CORVAIR)

AeroNed at aol.com AeroNed at aol.com
Wed Nov 1 23:49:59 EST 2006

In a message dated 11/1/2006 8:15:21 P.M. Central Standard Time,
corvair at fnader.com writes:

All  production car design is compromise.

All product engineering is a compromise.

I see it all the time. One of my favorite stories on this subject took  place
a few years ago. There was a meeting with several engineering and  marketing
people to discuss a new aircraft design. We, the aerodynamics group,  wanted
the wing to be swept back about 15 to 20 degrees. The manufacturing group
complained that would add weight to the airframe. Our argument was it would make
the plane more efficient. At that time the decision was made to keep the wing
straight. We proceeded to design the airplane that way. A few weeks later the
 same groups met to discuss progress. The layout folks showed how the baggage
 door was going to be above the wing. The marketing people when through the
roof,  that can not be. To fix that "problem" the wing was swept 17 degrees.
Marketing  always wins over engineering, even if they both want the same thing.

Ned