<VV> Just in case

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Fri Nov 3 22:09:23 EST 2006

>  They would fix cases with oversized bearing saddles (crank and cam) by
>welding the bearing saddles and then align boring the case back to
>standard.  I would suspect that you might be able to get a case fixed by
>one of these shops (DIVCO in Oklahoma is one)...  BUT,  it won't be
>cheap (think "airplane")...

If cheap, think VW. Also common practise. Once rebuilt the engine in a
Westy. Afterwards every time it dropped to 30 degrees (was living in Texas
then) the engine would crank fine, run for 30 seconds , and freeze solid.
Would winch into garage and go through it. Third time the shop was convined
I'd screwed it up each time but on measuring they found the center main
bearing .002 off center. Somehow the align bore process (back at the
original rebuild) had an "oops".

Padgett