<VV>Turning a crank

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Sat Nov 4 13:30:40 EST 2006

At 06:52 PM 11/3/2006, Padgett wrote:

>>what is  done when a crankshaft is
>>turned?
>
>Metal is removed until the crank is smooth. The less the better. The
>hardening is only about .005" deep so turning even .010" removes all
>of it. Generally no more then .030 is removed
>
>You might ask if polishing it will do the trick. This is similar but
>only .001-.003 is removed. Personally, I would rather replace a
>crank with a good original than have one turned even .010.

Then again, when done right (and checked out) a crank turned .010 is
not going to suffer any adverse effects from the process, and in fact
is for all intents and purposes as fresh as it's ever gonna
get.   It's worth mentioning that even turned .030 which is about the
limit of undersize bearings you're likely to find,  the difference in
size from metal removed is impossible to detect with the
eye...  gotta break out the mics to tell for sure.

A .030 turndown is about as thick as a dime.     Turning a crank .010
removes about a matchbook cover's worth.

For sake of simplicity and available "std" parts, an uncut crank is
of course desirable, but I'd still be fine with running a crank
turned as much as .030 any day.   It's just not that much metal that
gets taken off.

Even a cut crank can get returned to std by welding and then, for
"fine tuning", by chroming if you like...   if your budget can
tolerate it...  ;)    It's all only money.    Of course, if bux
aren't an issue, you could get Ray to carve you out one of his billet
cranks.

Pretty...  shiny...  I wants one...

tony..