<VV> NOS Parts

Arjay Morgan n3lkz at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 5 23:09:24 EST 2006

So this nice man pulls into my driveway and gives me two bags of gen-u-wine Corvair parts....two carburetors in their Delco boxes, an idler pulley and bracket, a universal joint spider, two fuel pumps, a distributor vacuum pull-off, a distributor cap and three sets of points. I figured I'd hit the lottery.

  The man was the fellow I'd purchased my '64 Monza convert. from about three years ago. He owned the garage where the original owner had had the car maintained all those years. He explained the original owner began to feel Corvair parts might be getting scarce and he wanted to have some NOS spares on hand, so he ordered them from Huckabay Chevrolet which is somewhere in North Florida. It had just taken him a few years to get around to giving me the parts that came with the car. Fair enough.

  Then I began looking deeper. The carbs are Group Number 3.725 Part No. 7036365 which, I am told, is a late model, non-enrichment circuit carb, and not the right carb for my 110 PG engine. Why, I wonder, would a dealer send the wrong part to a commercial garage customer.

  The fuel pumps are probably keepers, but a friend warns that the alcohol in today's gasolines (?) will eat the diaphragms in no time flat. I truly wonder about that prediction since I've had the same fuel pump on the car since I bought it.

  And why, I wonder, would even the most nervous of former owners want a spare idler pulley and bracket? I don't recall that as being a part known for its high failure rate.

  The spare spider is comforting to have on hand as are the ignition parts, but having two, improper carburetors as spares strikes me as kinda silly. All I can figure is that after a car has been off the market for a few decades the parts guys figure 'a carburetor is a carburetor' and they ship whatever seems to come close, but two of 'em?

  If anyone has any insight I'd love to read it. If anyone has any suggestions on what I can do with the carbs (aside from the usual suggestion, but I suspect they won't fit) please share.

  Arjay Morgan
  '64 Monza convert