<VV> Power Brakes for Corvair

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Wed Nov 8 20:49:38 EST 2006

> Since the brake components are based on bigger Chevys
> anyway, I'm wondering whether this is an easy job.
> Corvair Underground does sell a power brake kit, but
> they say it's "not really needed" and that kit has no
> provisions or instructions for hooking up to a vacuum
> source, or adatping to the existing brake lines.
> However, knowing my family, it's "needed."
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.  If this won't work,
> then I've seen disc brake kits for both 13" and 14"
> wheels.  If I did buy the 13" wheel kit, would I have
> to change my wheels to clear the calipers?
>
> Thanks again for you advice guys!...Bill H.

I find the Corvair brakes to be light and effortless and they work just fine at stopping my car.  I would only change to disk brakes for one of 2 reasons: racing or because I can't take working on the complicated claptrap of the drum brake system anymore.  I don't race and the claptrap hasn't gotten me too crazy yet.

No offense, but what is wrong with your family that they need power brakes or disks on a Corvair?  Unless there's something wrong with them, I find them easy and reliable to use.

I've heard that on top of being unnecessary, power brakes are tough to install because there's no easy source of vacuum in the trunk.  And I guess running line up to the trunk from the engine has too much loss.  I could be wrong but that's what I remember hearing.

Make sure your brakes are in good shape and enjoy that 1960's technology to the fullest!!

Next thing you know you'll be putting electronic ignition and an electric fuel pump in your car.  Oh the humanity!!