<VV> Power Brakes for Corvair

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 9 00:34:18 EST 2006

I spent an entire day at Blackhawk Farms ( a road course) racing (autocross
style).  There was the normal practice runs and then the actual timed runs.
I don't recall the count on the runs - but probably 10 to 12 - maybe more.
Practice runs are for a certain amount of time - like 10 minutes (other cars
are also on track during practice) - so SEVERAL times around the course.
Timed runs are - depending on who is running the event - sometimes from a
standing start out of the grid area and other times from a "flying" start -
meaning that you make a full circuit and then go as fast as you can (dare)
down the front straight.  The start line is roughly in the middle (about 55%
of the way down) of the front straight.

The brakes on the car (a '65 - LM 500 - single master) were fairly fresh -
around 5 - 6,000 miles (not all on roads) - but PLENTY of material on the
shoes.  Could be described as near NOS?

Anyway, as the day progressed, I got braver and braver at the turns.  There
are markers up on road courses (similar to Burma Shave signs for those of us
who remember) - like 4 - 3 - 2 - 1.  1 is (of course) closest to the turn.
This is to help you know when to begin to brake.  I started out the day
(practice runs)  braking at the 3, but by the end of the day (racing), I was
braking at the 1 - but VERY HARD.  I never experienced brake fade even
though I had the drums nearly glowing after race runs.

Inspection of the brakes at the end of the day revealed that I'd used up
about 1/2 the material - but did not break anything in the entire system.  I
really was looking mainly for cracks in the shoes after having gotten them
so hot.

I know that this is anecdotal information and everyone is subject to their
own situations, but I do feel that for normal street driving on a well
maintained (stock Vair) brake system, there should be no worries.  WELL - a
dual MC would be a darn good idea.

So, I guess I'm also trying to give a bit of a rebuttal to Ned regarding
drum brakes and racing.  Keep in mind that I don't consider myself a
"serious" racer, but DO like to have some fun along those lines a couple  -
three times a year.

Later, JR