<VV> Brakez 2

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Nov 9 16:29:05 EST 2006

At 08:48 AM 11/9/2006, Padgett wrote:
>At 11:11 AM 11/9/2006, you wrote:
>>you *Can* get respectable performance
>>from discs without a power booster.
>
>Both the 1967 Camaro bought when new and my Judge now have non-power
>disk brakes. Can lock either. The thing you need to remember when
>converting to disks in the front (is difficult to adapt a parking
>brake to disks in the back) is that disk/drum combinations need a
>proportioning valve set up properly. I also remember something about
>an anti-drainback valve in the master cyl but am not sure which it
>was used with - drum or disks.

This is where junkyard raids come into play.    You acquire ALL the
hardware, even if you don't intend to use a booster.   You do need
the disc brake lines and valving etc ad nauseam.    Not hard to come
by, junkyards will support all sorts of stuff like this.

I'm currently in progress of acquiring the stuff necessary to put
MODERN discs on the front of the recently acquired '66 Plymouth
Satellite project  (no more of those 4-piston Budd things) and it's
not gonna have a power booster either.    The 'Vairs stop well enough
as-is without my worrying about power brakes or discs or
whatever...  but the Plymouth is gonna benefit from discs.     Now, I
have no issues with modern materials in the shoes of Corvair
brakes...  I continue to see-hear nothing but good about Kevlar
shoes.    Metallic shoes are on a couple of 'Vairs...   no fade, stop
the car OK...  but pedal pressure is harder and they do NOT work all
that well when cold.   Hot, fine...  I've abused them to see if I
could make them fade... all that resulted was extremely hot wheels,
felt like it was gonna cook the paint off them.

tony..