<VV> RE: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 22, Issue 33

mopar at jbcs2.net mopar at jbcs2.net
Fri Nov 10 10:15:18 EST 2006

Original Message:
From: "John Kepler" <jekepler at amplex.net>
Subject: RE: <VV> Power Brakes for Corvair

I have heard that metallic shoes grind the drums away.

Not really, though I prefer Kevlar/organic material!

Look, has anyone reading this EVER just straight up and down worn out a
drum?  How about a rotor?  No....things like "our friend-corrosion" and the
"stupid pet trick" of running the pad/shoe material beyond its use-limit
into the backing plate is FAR more likely to prematurely ruin the drum/rotor
than any "grinding" caused by any semi-metallic brake compound!  What works
best, IS best!

John
------------------------------

Has anyone ever worn out a drum, or rotor..........YES!!!!
Happened several times on our old AMC eagle, and not from wearing the
brakes metal on metal either.
And I have seen it happen on several other cars as well that I have worked
on.
About the time they came out with the metallic brake linings to get rid of
the asbestos, they failed to upgrade the metal in the drums, or more likely
downgraded the drums. I had plenty go paper thin, and even crack or break.
Wore rotors so thin they collapsed!
Now Corvair drums are some pretty solid drums, have plenty in the attic
that are like new, in case one does go bad, or I have a catostrophic brake
failure.

Gary Swiatowy

Of course my wife delivers mail, and heats those suckers up as hot as
NASCAR drivers......