<VV> Ludvigsen article

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Nov 10 20:47:21 EST 2006

At 02:35 PM 11/10/2006, Geoffrey A Johnson wrote:

>>>I have not weighed a corvair to confirm the results, but R&T road test
>>>(11/59) of a 1960 4-dr says   39/61 percent distribution.
>>>Regards,
>>>Bob Helt
>>

>>That's what the SAE papers say as well IIRC, although that's curb
>>weight distribution, as I remember, I think.    When carrying a
>>compliment of passengers and a tank of fuel, the papers claim a
>>weight distribution that approaches 50-50.
>

>Just playing with some numbers here, it does not get near
>that.   Actually takes a lot to get that much of a change.
>
>Take a look at:
>
>http://www.unm.edu/~geoffj/Vair/Sample-Weight-Distribution.txt
>
>Numbers are arbitrary!
>I know some of my math is likely a little off in places, did this
>quickly, but gives the overall idea.
>
>-Geoff

I checked it out...   note that the figures in the SAE papers are for
the '60 sedan.     Its spare is already in the trunk.   Likewise, the
heater and associated hardware are also already up front in the trunk
which starts the car out with a better weight bias than later vintage
first gen Vairs.   The papers also regard a compliment of passengers
to be a driver and three others, all of whom will be ahead of the rear axle.

With this configuration and a tank of fuel, the weight bias ends up
being pretty close to 50-50...   for a '60 sedan.     :)

tony..