<VV> Ludvigsen article

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Sat Nov 11 04:30:46 EST 2006

At 04:24 PM 11/10/2006, corvairs wrote:
>But what about only one or two passengers up front? (Much more common)  Lon

Not sure what the weight bias is with a couple of people up
front.    In my case, with all the junk I haul around in the trunk, I
bet mine is fairly close to 50-50 when I sit my lunk ass in the
driver seat.    Not that I care much...

However, Mr Benzinger might be more of an authority than I.    I
could likely take my '60 to the stone mill and ask them to weigh each
end of it...  ;)     Seriously.    Has anybody in here ever actually
weighed their car?

I've not weighed any Corvairs, but I did weigh my '66 Plymouth
Satellite and mom's Chrysler Imperial Crown sedan.

The Satellite (with a trunk load of crap and a half-tank) weighed in
at 3730 lbs.   When I got into it to drive it off the scales, the
weight went up to 3910.    That *was* back in the '70s when I weighed
a bit less...  :)   The scales were a slick set, digital readouts,
accurate to within 10 lbs per 1000.    I thought the Sat was a tad
bit heavy...  before weighing mom's Chrysler.

Mom's Imperial weighed in at 5770 lbs.   That was a big car.    It
ate tires and brakes and power steering seals.   Not so bad on the
tires and seals once the Chrysler dealer service manager suggested
she get the car rolling first before cranking the wheel around to
make turns at stoplights.

Be glad for only ~a thousand lbs on the front wheels of a 'Vair.

tony..