<VV> Re: Halloween article and the Corvair

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Sat Nov 11 08:41:15 EST 2006

Joel:

>Good news. My editor wants me to proceed with a piece examining both sides
>of the Corvair story. Naturally, I'd like to interview you (and other
>Corvair owners) about the car. It would be good if I could link up with a
>Corvair owner in southern Ontario to check out the vehicle firsthand.
>
>All the best,
>David Menzies

Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, but this guy
continues to gall me.  His second sentence says it all.  As a
professional, objective journalist, shouldn't he have presented a fair
and impartial story the first time around?  Why is it that he needs to
be explicitly instructed by his editor to examine both sides of a
story?  Shouldn't that be what he does by training and journalistic
instinct?  Given what I've read, it's not possible to tell whether he's
biased or just plain lazy, but he does his readers a disservice in
either case.

I suppose it's a good thing that he's trying to investigate the other
side of the story, however belatedly.  Still, please tell everyone to
whom you introduce him that his natural inclination seems to be to diss
the Corvair and to be on their guard.  My sense is that this guy is
going to be continuing to look for evidence _against_ the Corvair and/or
to portray Corvair owners as a gaggle of foaming-at-the-mouth
goofballs.  I hope he proves me wrong.

Grrr.

Steven "apparently needs a long ride in his convertible on this
70-degree November day in New England" Serenska
'65 Monza Convertible, 110/4spd
'66 Corsa Coupe, 140/4spd