<VV> My Wife the Corvair spotter

Russ Moorhouse corvair65 at verizon.net
Tue Nov 14 18:11:08 EST 2006

This past weekend my wife's sewing/embroidery machine was out of sorts and
needed some work done to it.  Since we live so far away from the sewing
machine store, the owner is kind enough to work on it while we find
something else to do for 4 hours.

On our way up to the store, we're riding through a little community of
houses along MD ST Route 97 and my wife blurts out that she thought she saw
the back end of a Corvair in one of the house's car port.  Then she said it
had one taillight on each side that looked like a Corvairs.  I replied that
I thought all Corvairs had at least two or at least one and a cap where the
other would be.  Later, while her machine was being repaired in Westminster,
MD, we rode around the countryside near Gettysburg to kill time, even
thought about going to the Corvair Ranch to kill some time, but didn't get
around to it.  We chose a different route going back to Westminster that
took us through Taneytown, former home of Fred Gwynne (Herman Munster)
before his death.  Riding east on route 140 just as we're getting into the
town, my wife said there's a Corvair on the building, you've got to go back
and see it.  I did and sure enough there was one side of an early dark green
Monza Coupe pasted to the outside of this building which housed a muffler
shop.  I wished then I had my camera with me.

On our way back home with her sewing machine in hand, we went by her first
spotting.  She informed me beforehand that we were close to where she saw it
and to look for a house with a yellow bulldozer in the yard and in the
carport was the car.  She was right again.  Another early coupe, buried
under a ton of stuff piled on it, but with enough of the rear end sticking
out to know it was a Corvair.  It had two lights on both sides, however some
were busted up.

Earlier this year she spotted an early dark green Monza Convertible with a
white top, a way across a crowded parking lot at Wal-mart while we weren't
anywhere near it.

I don't understand it.  She doesn't particular like "Stinky" ( the name she
gave my Corvair), but she can spot these earlies while she's never been
around them.  It may have to do with the color dark green.  It's one of her
favorite and two of her spotting have been dark green and Stinky is dark
green, but not an early.  Maybe I need to find her a dark green early.

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Group Corvair Member
Corsa Member