<VV> moveable timing

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Fri Nov 17 00:13:17 EST 2006

In a message dated 11/16/2006 3:18:40 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
pwilhelm2 at cogeco.ca writes:

Once I  reassembled the engine,I tried to set the timing and found it would
not run  properly at 12 or 14 degrees. Thinking my timing light to be faulty,I
asked a  fellow Corvair owner to come over to check his light against mine. My
light  was fine. We found that to get the car to run smoothly,it must be set
to 36 to  42 degrees advance. In addition,the timing appears to change between
engine  start ups;i.e. from 36 degrees and 15 minutes later it will 42
degrees.

Something is certainly wrong. You need to run some tests to determine the
cause. First run a compression check. then check the action of the weights in
the distributor. Are the weights working properly? Try swapping another
distributor as a trial. As mentioned, by someone else, is the key in the crank  end
where the HB is installed?   When running, is the engine  mis-firing or
running on all six?
Give us a report.
Regards,
Bob Helt