FW: <VV> Gas Tank

Brandes, Guy GBrandes at loebermotors.com
Fri Nov 17 09:33:40 EST 2006

Well Brandon, I suspect that you will get about a dozen or two responses
on this.  Yes, the tank can rust like a sieve from the inside usually do
to condensation over the years and it can look ok from the outside and
the fail catastrophically with out notice.  I would suggest you drop the
tank and have it cleaned and the inside sealed or replace the tank clean
the filter line and carbs with new filters and then start from there.

Regards,

Guy Brandes

Hello everyone,

I have a 66' Monza coupe that I'm working on, I was wondering if it were

possible for the gas tank to rust from the inside out? with a search in
the
vv archive someone has said that they are galvi coated from the factory?
The
car has been sitting for at least 2 years and before i got it someone
had it
and had began to restore it but had to move so could not keep the car. I
put
a couple gallons of gas in the tank thinking that I was sure it was
empty,
but what came out was probably the worst varnish/past varnish smell i've

ever smelled! So im going to have to drain the tank and blow out the
lines
(since it's not suckin fuel, i'm sure something is stuck in the
line/bottom
of tank) and was wondering if it could be rust? I will definately have
the
tank coated/replaced after this! any help is appreciated  thanks!
-Brandon

are the property
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/