<VV> 14" Rim Exact Fit Replacement 4 Lug

stan east sgeast at interlog.com
Fri Nov 17 22:23:16 EST 2006

Bob Vukas <bowtieguy at cox.net> wrote

I have read about the Datsun 510 and 240Z as possible correct wheel
replacements for an early model Corvair. Are there others? The 185/70/14
tire seems to be the correct tire fit.

Answer

Yes the bolt pattern is the same, however the rim width of the stock 510 and
240Z steel wheels are narrower than the original Corvair wheel. The Corviar
wheel is also made of heavier metal (stronger). In my 510 days I used the
hot set up the wider Corvair wheels on my 510 (5 ½ inches wide vs. the 510’s
4 inches wide) The original 510 wheel diameter is also 13” like the Corvair.
The 240Z wheel is 14” diameter however again the width is narrower than the
original Corvair wheel. Don’t use a narrower wheel on a street Corvair as
the original 5 ½ inch wheel was designed to assist in the Corvair’s
handling. The Datsun 200SX, B210, 260Z 280Z newer 510, and 280ZX also used
the same bolt circle, some of these models came with factory “mag” wheels
which were wider.

You can buy aftermarket wheels for the 240Z etc. in 14 inch or larger
diameters but watch out for the back spacing. Here’s the reason why, I have
a set of used Gotti 2 piece wheels from my now scrapped 280Z (correct 240 to
280Z back spacing)that are 7” wide, they fit the early model Corvair except
for the interference with the steering arms on the front.

Stan East

66 Corvair Corsa

GMC Safari

SAAB 9000 Aero