<VV> moveable timing solved by tweakers! GG

TimogensTurbo at aol.com TimogensTurbo at aol.com
Sun Nov 19 23:31:31 EST 2006

In a message dated 11/19/2006 7:14:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
pwilhelm2 at cogeco.ca writes:

> Thanks to all who responded to my problem. It appears to be solved. Phil
> Ellis was sure it was the incorrect tooth position of the distributor and came
> over today to show me how to correct it. When we moved the distributor one
> tooth,the timing dropped from 36 degrees to 16 degrees. With a little tweaking
> of the distributor ,  the points and idle,we got it down to 14 degrees. The
> final settings are now ;
>  ....timing 14 degrees
>  ....rpm 1050 [little high]
>  ....dwell 32 degrees
>      The problem of  variable timing were the chokes. They were not
> synchronized nor operating correctly,so the engine would "kick down" then at other
> times pick up.
>  I have to repair or replace the thermo spring on the driver's side[wont
> know till I get at it]. Also will check vacuum line. Of course with the timing
> set at 14 degrees,I will have to listen for any pinging and adjust if
> necessary.
>      Thanks to all;  Pete

=====

Glad you've got a handle on the problem.......but with your
description.......I had to change the title....LOL!

You led us to believe you had all this correct.....now....

1  it doesn't matter what tooth your distributor is in.....no such thing as
"one tooth off"...unless you go by pictures!

2  Manual says to always plug VA  before setting timing [ source of timing
variations ]

3  You needed to worry about PING when you had a 36 deg. initial
timing....not now at 14!

Matt Nall
69 stocker, 66 vert, 65 v8, 66 turbo, Vairboat, Sandcar, 64 140
ALLVAIR!
Timogen was a softy!