<VV> Moveable Timing etc.

TimogensTurbo at aol.com TimogensTurbo at aol.com
Mon Nov 20 19:00:15 EST 2006

In a message dated 11/20/2006 2:49:43 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ellispj at cogeco.ca writes:

> I can see that's Pete's timing issue has quite correctly generated a lot of
> discussion. I may be out to lunch, but my understanding is that where the
> distributor shaft gear is set in the drive gear does make a difference!

You don't know how refreshing it is to have an exchange like this  that has
not turned into a "He's picking on me" / I'm outa here!   fiasco!

Thank you Phil and Pete!

Your thoughts on the KEYED / PINNED / INDEXED when machined   loses all merit
when you add the last part!!!

The Distributor ROTATES 360 degrees!   IF it were  notched / pinned / indexed
, etc from the factory....then your thoughts would be valid!

As I wrote Pete earlier [ privately],  the ONLY thing that dictates where a
ROTORSHAFT  NEEDS to go  is that  need for adjustment of timing.  If you are
off by too much.....you cannot swing the dist. to get the correct timing....the
VA usually hits the  Coil.  BUT this can be corrected by moving ALL  6 wires
one hole  in the cap.....must be in the right direction!!  Also MOST  Ignition
wiresets  come with a #1 so short that #1 has to be in the one area....so you
are RIGHT ALSO!!  GGG

If you are Fixated with pictures........then you are locked in a paradigm as
to what works.

In the case of an AC / AIR  equipped engine, the factory did supply a
slightly offset  dist. gear [ 4 deg???]  so you could get the base timing without
hitting the coil or BELT.....

Those of us without VA's  never have the problem of adjustability....and if
Seth would make his #1,3,4  wires just 3" longer!

Matt Nall
69 stocker, 66 vert, 65 v8, 66 turbo, Vairboat, Sandcar, 64 140
ALLVAIR!
Timogen was a softy!