<VV> Crapoutitis

Jim Bannister jimster1 at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 23 03:45:52 EST 2006

Hi All,

I think I'm beginning to suffer the death of my Pertronix ignition system.
Is there a know failure mode?  What I'm seeing is the following, the engine
seems fine until its been operating for about 20 minutes.  Before 20
minutes, it'll pull to the redline in 1, 2 And 3rd gear with 7psi boost
without a hiccup.  Slowly as things warm, the engine will not pull under
load without missing badly.  Even giving gas gently will cause it to miss
and try to die.  Eventually, it won't idle or run under 2500 rpm.  If it
dies, it'll restart but needs full throttle to get going.  Giving it a one
hour rest, returns everything to normal.  Has anybody seen similar symptoms?
I'm first going to swap out the coil and see what happens.  After that, I'll
put the points back in and see what happens.  Can anyone think of anything
else that I might be missing?

Jim B.

'66 turbovert (a sick puppy)