<VV> Crapoutitis

Jim Bannister jimster1 at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 24 13:24:15 EST 2006

I've got a Pertronix 1 with Chrome Flamethrower Coil.  With luck I'll get
the coil swapped out today as my first step.  It's kinda scary because if
it's the Pertronix itself, it could put you into hitch hiking mode without
warning.  This thing is getting progressively worse.
Jim B

 Exact symptoms I experienced. When it gets hot it starts to fail. When
cooled off for an hour or so it seems fine. I sent mine back to Petronics
and they said there was nothing wrong with it. I doubt they ran it hot for
and hour or so. I replaced the Pertonics 1 with a Petronics 2 and carry the
original point set up in the car.

   It is for sure the Petronics, but try to swap the coil first as the
symptoms you describe also may apply to a failing coil.

  Was yours a 1 or 2?

  mike

Jim Bannister <jimster1 at earthlink.net> wrote:
  Hi All,

I think I'm beginning to suffer the death of my Pertronix ignition system.
Is there a know failure mode? What I'm seeing is the following, the engine
seems fine until its been operating for about 20 minutes. Before 20
minutes, it'll pull to the redline in 1, 2 And 3rd gear with 7psi boost
without a hiccup. Slowly as things warm, the engine will not pull under
load without missing badly.