<VV> 69 Monza Convertible Update - IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

ChiefTAM at aol.com ChiefTAM at aol.com
Sun Nov 26 19:13:52 EST 2006

Well, thought I would let everyone know that after two years of rebuilding
the engine and over three years of not driving it, my 69 Monza Convertible is
alive!

After breaking two piston rings in April of 2004 while driving the car from
Minnesota to Texas, and after a rod bearing we replaced "just because" went
bad  and took out the crank and the rest of the engine,  NTCA member Carl
Coulter rebuilt my 110 engine and I got it back in the car this month.

Yesterday, we went through the motions of starting up the engine for the
first time.  After a few trials with a probably very dry fuel pump, and
squirting fuel in the carbs, the engine fired up.  We ran it for 20 minutes  at 2000
rpm to break in the cam and then shut it down to change the oil.

Today, I took the car out of the garage for the first time.  The  clutch
works fine, although it engages a little high so I will adjust  that.  The tranny
shifts well, engaging all gears without grinding, so I  must have put it back
together correctly.  The brakes work well, although  they do pull slightly, so
I probably need to pull them apart and check for  leaking wheel cylinders.

After the engine got warm from running it under a load, and up through the
gears a few times, I noticed it pings just a bit when you take off, but not
when  you are accelerating.  I think this means that the timing is probably just
a bit off.  I also have a lifter making a little noise, so that will have  to
be adjusted too after I get a few miles on it.

The engine runs smoothly and well, and the car handles great, just like I
remember.  I can't wait to get the few things fixed (including a gas gauge  that
doesn't work since I took the pickup out of the tank to drain the old gas
and a sender tank seal that probably will need to be replaced) and start to
enjoy driving the car again.  Oh yeah, it needs a bath pretty badly too,  with a
year or two of old dust on top of the Lemans Blue.

Thanks to all those who have offered advice on what was wrong with the car
initially, and for all the advise on how to repair the engine.  Thanks also  to
Carl for the great job rebuilding the engine.  I took some pictures  today as
well, and now I can write the update for the Corvair Minnesota Leaky  Seel
Newsletter that I have been wanting to write but was ashamed to as I didn't
have a running Corvair to talk about and no progress on it for a long  time.

Todd (glad to be back from Group Red?) in Texas
69 Monza Convertible 110 4spd - RUNS!
65 Corsa Turbo Convertible - Next Project to  Finish