<VV> Re: Rockers

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Nov 26 21:43:50 EST 2006

In a message dated 11/26/2006 5:34:22 PM Pacific Standard Time,
wblanning at adelphia.net writes:

a question about your VV subject note.  You said:

"That  is why the Corvair rockers have special intake and exhaust and even
special 140  rockers, since the plane is different in the 140 head. "

This implies to me that there is a specific rocker for intakes and a
different one for exhaust, as well as specific rockers for 140 engines.  I  thought
they were all the same?

Tx,
Wade

Good catch Wade!  I better add this to the note:
I was referring to the aftermarket Roller-Trunion rockers, not the  stockers.
The only engine specific rockers on the market are the SC Performance  origin
ated aluminum rockers. (PS - No matter who sells them, they are the SC
Performance design) The manufacturer sells them through other retailers as  well.
There used to be several other Corvair aftermarket rockers available,  Crane and
Norris (Not Rick!) were suppliers. Clarks even sold a shaft-mounted  set-up a
few years ago. The stock rockers can be used on either the intake or  exhaust
- There was a change in the Chevy supplied rocker arm sometime after the  car
was discontinued. I cannot pinpoint when. The Chevy supplied (through the
parts dept) rocker in the mid-70s was definitely different than the ones which
were installed on the line. The easiest way to tell is to inspect the ground
area that contacts the valve tip. The originals were narrower and longer. The
later ones were wider and shorter. Many racers have searched out the earlier
ones, provided the contact patch was "non-dimpled" - you engine assemblers
know what I mean - and used those. For use with high lift cams, the slot in the
 bottom of the rocker for the stud needs to be elongated a bit to allow full
travel. I am working on a replacement roller-tip rocker for the Corvair.
Slowly  (but surely) marching toward production, I hope. - Seth  Emerson