<VV> Re: washer bellows

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Tue Nov 28 16:58:52 EST 2006

In a message dated 11/28/2006 4:08:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ed_dowds at hotmail.com writes:

According to the Corvair parts book the bellows was 4914074 for '60-'68
Corvairs.
There is a "Piston Assy" listed for '69 under part# 4918790  in the 10.153
washer section. It looks like they either changed the design  for '69 or they
changed the nomenclature for the  parts.

Ed, (and others)...
I sent Hank some info this morning about that... the pump number in the  P&A
30C dated 1972 listed a pump assm number that goes into the early (mid?)
1970s, while the bellows piece was dated fitting 60-68... in 69 they changed to  a
"piston" style pump that was used into the 70s (the case looks almost
identical if you don't have them side by side, as the later one is longer and
mounts differently - and was the "replacement" pump for the failed original
units)...
I think the important thing to ask is "Do I have an original pump
(pre-1968)? or a replacement pump (post 1968)?"
Once you remove the black cover you can tell which one you have by the size
of the "head" where the bellows would attach... the bellows type is shallower
than the piston type. sorry, I have no measurements... just going off my
memory...
Hope this helps!
Later,
Lonzo

Lon Anderson  in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Derby City Corvair, Central Ky  Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly Editor
1961 Greenbrier 110/pg
1963  Greenbrier 110/4spd
1964 700 sedan 95/pg